Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Take Ten

* I was listening to one of those classic rock stations the other day, and I heard a song I hadn't heard before. I believe this is the first time that has happened since 1984, when the station's playlist essentially stopped getting updated.
* There's been talk about buying out Larry Brown's contract with the New York Knicks for $40 million, and telling him to go away. I'm not sure where that stands right now. However, let me start the line of people asking the question, "How do I get me one of those deals?"
* If the government really wants to know who I've been calling lately, it is free to take a look at my phone records. One tip: the inspector in question is going to be really bored.
* I bought the latest DVD release of "Blazing Saddles." A warning: The billed scene-by-scene commentary by Mel Brooks is basically an hourlong monologue by Brooks, and has little to do with each scene. The half-hour documentary on the film is better, though, and the package is still worth the $7.50 I paid for it.
* I get done writing silly stuff about infomercials, and who do I see on one the other night but ... Alexander Haig. I feel cheated. Generals' pensions must not be what they used to be.
* It's been 28 years since the Buffalo Braves left town, and they (in their current form, the Clippers) still can't win a seventh game. Time to start writing about the Curse of John Y. Brown.
* I suppose there are worthy Presidential possibilities out there jockeying for position in 2008. I just haven't discovered any of them yet.
* On my TV set, the program title pops up on screen when the correct button is pushed. When the Fox News Channel is on, the button-pushing prompts the title "Fair and balanced." You can write the next line on your own.
* When the identity of "Deep Throat‘ came out, it almost felt like we were running out of secrets. Now authorities are looking for the body of Jimmy Hoffa in Michigan. It's enough to make me go out drinking with my good friend, the Loch Ness Monster.
* Prediction to be read and thrown away: Al Leiter has a chance to be a great baseball commentator. I learn something every time he opens up his mouth on the Yankees' broadcasts.

No comments: