My wife was staging a party on Groundhog Day at work, and needed a cute way to invite the staff. She enlisted me to come up with a Top 10 list for it, so I got to work. You won't get some of the jokes if you aren't from Western New York, but I felt like preserving them for my local reader(s).
Ten Reasons to Celebrate Groundhog Day in Buffalo
1. Holiday is first sign that this cruel winter is finally ending.
2. We guarantee that no tree debris will be left on party site.
3. It's easier than driving to Punxsutawney.
4. Only five more months to the start of Bills' training camp.
5. Much less egg nog served now as compared to Christmas parties.
6. Construction in front of airport is a year closer to completion.
7. "Woodchuck Day" hasn't made the calendar yet.
8. Not like we can spend the afternoon shopping at Bass Pro.
9. Groundhogs eat insects and leaves, leaving good stuff for us.
10. Hard to find an open spot for a United Nations Day party.
Between this and National Gorilla Suit Day, it's been quite a week.