Monday, March 28, 2011

Quote of the day

ESPN the Magazine has a regular feature in which it asks athletes from different sports a question, and wants the answer to include a mathematical rating from one to 10 as part of the answer.

This week's question is: "How do you feel when you pay your taxes?"

Adam Jones of the Orioles answered this way:

"Three. If it went to a good cause, I'd be happy. But our tax money goes to lazy people who don't want to work."

Um, excuse me, Adam. You might have forgotten that 80 percent of our federal tax bill goes to four areas -- medicare, social security, national defense and interest on the national debt. The other 20 percent covers everything else, from the National Parks Service to the Interstate Highway system to, yes, social services such as food stamps and welfare. (Thanks for the push, commenting visitor.)

Congratlations, Adam. Usually it takes athletes more than three full years in the big leagues to be completely out of touch with reality.


Acechaser said...

Adam Jones aside, don't medicare and social security count as "social services"?

Glenn Locke, The Tall Thin Guy said...

Ace is right! And those old people clearly don't want to work either.

Clearly Jones must have Fox News on his TV when he is catching his pre-game nap. What is scary is how many people think that most of their tax money goes to welfare and foreign aid. And, then the rest is given to illegal immigrants.