Saturday, March 22, 2008

Oprah Winfrey's Day Off

Scene from a life ... in this case, mine:

I was waiting for my car to be inspected at my friendly dealer the other day. There is a waiting area with chairs and a television. After a soap opera ended, I boldly changed the channel to the NCAA basketball tournament, waking up the men sitting in the area. Then I sat down next to a woman.

A few minutes later, her cell phone rang. One of the problems with cell phones is that it's impossible to not overhear the conversations of strangers.

After a minute of chit-chat, the woman said over the phone, "When does this basketball crap finally end?"

I didn't have the heart to blurt out the answer: early April.

After a moment, she said, "I guess I'm going to miss Oprah again today."

I laughed silently to myself and then went back to watching the game and, during the commercials, reading my book on basketball legends Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain.

One man's madness is another person's sadness, apparently.

No comments: