Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Off the record, sort of

Journalists like to collect quotes. Not just the ones that appear in the newspaper or on the air, either.

Funny things said or heard in newsrooms often find their way to bulletin boards, computer baskets, whatever. I remember in college a woman making a point of international travel started by saying, "I've been abroad for a long period of time..." (read aloud), and then being drowned out with laughter.

I have a couple of lists in my own work basket, complete with quotes from long-departed coworkers. I particularly liked the line, "Ordering a small pizza is against my religion." Phone calls usually draw the most astonished response from workers. The most popular smart-aleck remark in our office is passed down from clerk to clerk. Someone says over the phone, "I want to report a score," and the clerk says "What kind of score?"

So it was with some joy that I stumbled upon the Web site, "Overheard in the Newsroom." Apparently I'm not the only one with this habit.

You don't have to be a journalist to like this site, but it helps.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Thanks for the link!